ST GEORGE'S English Spirit (Nearly Whisky!)

More
14 years 11 months ago #18040 by Duffer
ST GEORGE'S DAY SPECIAL (Nationalist Scots Avert Your Eyes!)

We were the first retailer in the world to sell Swedish whisky. Now we are the first UK retailer to sell English whisky. In fact we're so hot off the mark that technically it's not even whisky yet (applying rules from the Scotch Whisky Act 1988, it must be matured in Scotland in oak casks for not less than three years). We assume that law will allow English whisky to be matured in England (!), however at a mere 18 months in cask, this spirit remains English Spirit and we'll need to wait a further 18 months to see a bottling of legal whisky from England.

As a Scottish company we realise that selling this English stuff will be a lot more contentious than when we launched Swedish whisky, however we've tasted the liquid and it certainly deserves its place on our shelves. The English Whisky Company employed a Scotsman (Iain Henderson), who had spent a lifetime in the Scotch Whisky industry (most notably as manager at Laphroaig) to help them build the distillery and to teach them to make the stuff. Pity they didn't allow his influence to extend to the packaging though!

Kan nu også købes hos Royal Mile Whiskies:
LINK: www.royalmilewhiskies.com/produc ... c=STGEO09&
LINK: www.royalmilewhiskies.com/produc ... c=STGEO09&

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Please Log på or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #18041 by JimTaggart

however at a mere 18 months in cask, this spirit remains English Spirit and we'll need to wait a further 18 months to see a bottling of legal whisky from England.

Ja, jeg forventer da at se mine flasker til december i år, når den første St. George's sprit har lagret i 3 år og må kaldes whisky. Mon ikke den ovennævnte 18 måneders udgave er destilleret efter Iain Henderson overlod tøjlerne til Dave Fitt? Dave's entusiasme og imødekommenhed oplevede Al Jones' London-hold, da vi besøgte St. George's sidste sommer.
I øvrigt synes jeg indpakningen er ok.

Venlig hilsen
Lars

More
14 years 11 months ago #18047 by Macdeffe
Deres future første 3års (due dec 2009) blev hurtigt udsolgt, men nu er deres første future 3års peated kommet op på deres hjemmeside.

175 £ for 6 flasker, men så skal man også vente i et år

www.englishwhisky.co.uk/home.html

MacDeffe

Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

danishwhiskyblog.blogspot.com/

More
14 years 11 months ago #18128 by Duffer
Serge har lagt smagsnoter ud på Chapter 3 og 4:
St George Chapter 3 2007/2009 (46%, OB, The English Whisky Co., cask #475) 18 months old so no whisky yet, from American bourbon 1st fill. The master distiller (or is he distillery manager) is the famous and very engaging Iain Henderson, ex-Laphroaig and ex-Edradour. Colour: white wine. Nose: almost new make! Porridge, vanilla-flavoured yogurt, strawberry liqueur, then wet hay, newly cut grass and just hints of fresh mushrooms (faint earthiness). It's nice, but it's new make (almost). Mouth: indeed, a very young, very fruity but also very beerish and slightly feinty spirit. One can feel that there's ‘some potential' here, but we're still far from ‘whisky' as we're used to it. Quite some apple and pear juice, bitter beer, hints of cane syrup"¦ Finish: medium long, smooth, slightly salty. Comments: no doubt this is good new make, but it's not really something to enjoy. More ‘documentation' so to speak, except that I'd have rather issued these ‘documents' at cask strength as for instance Kilchoman does/did. See you in five or six years! SGP:431 - 65 points.
St George Chapter 4 2007/2009 (46%, OB, The English Whisky Co., peated) 18 months old so no whisky yet. The malt for this one was peated to 50ppm. I've seen single cask bottlings but the label for this one does not display any such indications. Colour: white wine. Nose: it's amazing how peaty whiskies are quicker to smell ‘mature', the peat's big aromas masking any faint ‘flaws' that are obviously there in such young malts. So, this is pretty nice, ashy, quite bubblegummy (of course), grassy and slightly citrusy. Whiffs of cough syrup. Medium smokiness. Mouth: once again and for the same reasons, this works better than the unpeated version, even if there's something slightly strange (something like burnt herbs "“ oregano?). Liquorice wood, bitter herbs (Jägermeister), ginger tonic, even gin"¦ That's it, this is rather good gin! Finish: medium long, with added notes of cinchona. Comments: tastes like a Negroni (1 part gin, 1 part vermouth, 1 part Campari). I like a Negroni"¦ SGP:335 - 70 points.

Kilde: Whiskyfun

More
14 years 4 months ago #19467 by Duffer
The "Chapter 6" general release of the unpeated 3yo whisky will be available from 16th December at £34.99 per bottle.

27th November 2009 we tasted our first English Whisky alongside the renowned Jim Murray who writes 'The Whisky Bible'. It was a fantastic moment. We will be posting some tasting notes very soon. Chapter 6&7 available 16thDecember.

The distillery produced its first 'run' in November 2006 and it was with much excitement and with an enormous sense of achievement that we filled the first barrel of 'St. George's whisky'. We now produce on average 13 casks a week, building up a good stock of delicious English Malt Spirit.

Citeret fra English Whisky Co. hjemmeside

More
14 years 4 months ago #19539 by Macdeffe
Der er gang i salget

www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/ne ... 3A34%3A620

Macdeffe

Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

danishwhiskyblog.blogspot.com/

More
14 years 4 months ago #19540 by Duffer
DUE TO UNPRECEDENTED DEMAND OVER THE PAST COUPLE OF DAYS WE CANNOT TAKE ANY FURTHER ORDERS ONLINE. WE ARE SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE AND WILL HOPEFULLY BE BACK ONLINE BY THE END OF THE W/E, BUT REGRET THAT WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FULFIL NEW ORDERS FOR CHRISTMAS

Citeret fra English Whisky Co. hjemmeside

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds