Octo Barrel - batch?

More
19 years 7 months ago #1460 by MacLars
Octo Barrel - batch? was created by MacLars
Hej

Vores kære fad som jo efter sigende har det godt - hvilken batch er der egentligt i den?

Jeg sad og kiggede på www.celticmalts.com/journal-a35.htm og så følgende:

The first batch of ‘Octomore' had a phenol level of around 80 ppm, and it showed: open a sample bottle of new make in your living room and it you can almost see the peat vapours waft across the room. In a 7 month old cask sample the peat seems to have been enhanced: chewy ashy smoke from nose to finish. The sample came from a fresh bourbon cask, but the cask type probably plays a minor role at most, because the peat was so thick you could cut slices from it. And then, just when you thought you'd tasted the ultimate peat monster, a further batch of Octomore was distilled with a phenol level said to be over 120 ppm

Så...80 eller 120+ ?

MacLars

Please Log på or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 7 months ago #1463 by karlejnar
Replied by karlejnar on topic Octo Barrel - batch?
Hej Lars

Svaret er: Ingen af dem.
Vores tønde er jo ikke fyldt med "Octomore", men derimod "Port Charlotte", som har et phenol-indhold på ca. 40ppm.

En anden forskel er, at PC-malt kommer fra Port Ellen malteriet, Octomore kommer vistnok fra et malteri oppe i højlandet. Så egentlig er det ikke Islay-tørv, der er brugt.

Et phenol-indhold på 120 lyder af meget, er der mon dokumentation for det, som der var på det første batch, der blev analyseret til 80,5ppm. Analysen har ligget på Bruichladdich's hjemmeside, måske ligger den der stadig.

Efter at have smagt en 1-årig prøve fra fadet, må jeg sige, at et peatmonster som Octomore, bliver det ikke til. Smagen er meget skarp, men ikke ubehagelig (ca. 71%abv iflg. John Rennie). Duften er markant tørv og tjære, men ikke overdrevet.

Slainte
Karl Ejnar
PS: Jeg regner med at skrive en lille historie om vores besøg på fadets 1-års dag, og Frank har taget nogle billeder, som vi kan lægge ved.

Slàinte
Karl Ejnar
Jeg er ikke samler - blot lidt bagud med at drikke ;-)

More
19 years 7 months ago #1464 by MacNiels
Replied by MacNiels on topic Octo Barrel - batch?
Fra samme ovenstående side:

Port Charlotte was a distillery just south of Bruichladdich, which closed in 1929. Among the remaining buildings are the old warehouses. Maturing in these warehouses is ‘Port Charlotte', a peated malt distilled at Bruichladdich. I tasted ‘Port Charlotte' both as new make and as a less than 1 y.o. cask sample. It packs a good ‘peat punch'; 40 ppm is comparable to Ardbeg and I can't wait to taste it as a well-matured 10 y.o. in a number of years time. ‘Port Charlotte' has the strongest geographical link with her old sister, maturing as it does in her warehouses.

MacNiels

Niels Ladefoged
Whiskynyt.dk

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds